Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lent 2

Up at the crack of dawn today (5.45am) in order to be at church in time to prepare for the 8am service (I really need to be there by 7, but managed 7.20 today ...). The place is freezing, since the boiler broke, so I kept my refugee hat and fingerless gloves on. This in spite of the fact that we had three portable heaters in the choir area, which gave the church a charming, hellish glow. The service wasn't too bad - a short sermon on seeing coming to God with our needs as an integral part of worship (suits me, sir - have you time for the full list?) and wholeness. The latter is at the moment a particular focus of mine. We're getting there ...

Lord H and I have finally booked our flights to Belfast in April (short holiday plus, for me, the AUA conference) and are enquiring about a hotel. Apparently the city will be filled with Irish national folkdancing champions, so hope we can find a room somewhere - footloose and fancy free.

Astonishing, I cooked lunch today and so far we haven't dropped dead, though Lord H is still sick. Will have to restock supplies of Lemsip soon. An afternoon nap (much-needed) and an evening of "Invasion" and "Midsomer Murders" will round off my Sunday nicely. Oh, and I've washed the car in the freezing cold, so I deserve my evening slump even more than usual.

Have given up with my attempt at reading Patricia Highsmith's "The Talented Mr Ripley". Goodness it's slow, and so old-fashioned. I couldn't bear it - to me, the main character had a minus charm factor. One hopes the film (though I've never seen it) is better - surely it has to be!

Today's haiku is:

Soft amber clouds watch
the skylark sing the morning.
I take the day slow.


Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

No comments: