Monday, January 29, 2007

Film city

Another sick day, ye gods. Will they ever end?!? Woke up way too early this morning feeling like shit. Nothing weird - or at least no weirder than normal - just a rather nasty cold and the old catarrh problem. Hurrah - not. What I should have done of course was drag myself up when I woke in order to start on the first of today's Lemsips, but foolishly I ignored the issue and stayed in bed till I felt doubly worse. So no work today - which makes me feel guilty as I should have been minuting the Steering Group which had a special guest appearance from our new registrar, and it means Ruth probably had to do it instead, and she's snowed under anyway. Still, it couldn't be helped.

The day has also brought no significant improvement, I have to say - I didn't even bother getting dressed, which is most unusual. Still, at least I managed to wash, at about 2pm when the energy levels rose slightly. Must be the ley lines, or some such nonsense ... I also typed up - slowly - the writing I did over the weekend, but couldn't be arsed to do anything else remotely creative beyond that. Instead, I attempted - and largely failed - to do some sudoku and the odd crossword, and spent the rest of the day watching the video/DVD. Films viewed: (a) Down with Love. Verdict - badly written, badly acted shit. To be brutal. Which was pretty astonishing since it starred Renee Zellweiger (or however you spell it ...) and Ewen MacGregor (however you spell that ...). I wouldn't bother, if I were you. (b) My Beautiful Laundrette - which is always a class act no matter how often you see it. You can't really go wrong with a young Daniel Day Lewis with his kit off. Phew - hot stuff. I even forgot to finish my Lemsip with that one. Oo-err, missus (c) Sense and Sensibility. Ah, perfect. And it has the utterly gorgeous Alan Rickman, so what more do you need? As always, I cried like a baby at the end. I am such a wimp.

Lord H came home after work with fresh stocks of ginger beer, Lucozade and the essential chocolate buttons - which are the only things which make being ill worthwhile. Tonight, he's out at his theology class, continuing to look at ethics (ah, if only we had some ...), so I think I'm going to slump once more in front of the TV and watch my video of Emma. Well, now I've unearthed the Jane Austen theme, I might as well stay the course ... And I can drool over the adorable Jeremy Northam, which will cheer me up once more.

God, I hope I'm better tomorrow, though at the current moment, I'm not confident.

Today's nice things:

1. Films
2. Chocolate
3. Ginger beer

Anne Brooke
http://www.annebrooke.com
http://www.goldenford.co.uk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've been poorly again.

I totally agree with your verdict on Down With Love. I had high expectations but felt really let down.

I also agree that anything with Alan Rickman has to be good. He's great as a goody and downright sexy as a baddy.

You look after yourself. I was action planning last night and am putting together some homework for you. :-)

Hugs to you.

Sue xx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Sue! I'm hoping for improvement soon ... in time for my homework!

:))

A
xxx