Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Frost and physio

Lots of frost this morning, dammit – but Lord H was very noble and scraped the ice off my car before he left for work. What a hero. He is now virtually drowning under Husband Points.

Meanwhile here’s this morning’s meditation poem:

Meditation 15

The spices and herbs
escape my memory:

only the salt remains.

Use it
for the difficult healings:

scrape the demons clear.


At work, it remains chilly and we are relying on our supply of portable heaters to keep us going through the day. I have spent most of this staring blankly at the personal tutors’ handbook and attempting to proofread it for the umpteenth time. I’m sure I can now chant vast sections of it from memory – could be a useful skill if the computers go down however. We’ve also had a team meeting, which we spent in Starbucks (hurrah!), so that makes my second decaff cappuccino of the week. Am I getting addicted?...

I worked through my lunch today – which is a blessing really, as it meant I didn’t have to go out and face the winter with serious intent – as my eighth physio appointment was at 5pm. I’ve only got two more left before the cover runs out, so I’m hoping I can use them wisely.

Ooh and this week’s heroes are The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain (as Ruth saw them again last night and they are truly wonderful), the portable heater from work (my lifesaver) and – of course – Austin Healey (for that scrumptious paso …).

And I've been thinking about words. And the spaces they make:

Where meaning lies

Sometimes it’s not the words
that matter

but the spaces
they carry:

a secret structure
of silence

as delicate as corn,
as strong as memory.

Let your eyes adjust,
see the meaning.


Tonight, it’s Strictly Come Dancing It Takes Two, and then there’s some insider gossip on the Queen’s coronation day, so I absolutely must watch that. Noblesse oblige, as they say.

Today’s nice things:

1. The ice-scraping husband
2. Portable heaters
3. Poetry
4. This week’s heroes
5. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - still hoping for a warm day ...

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Have you tried the dark cherry mocha in Starbucks? If not do, before the Xmas menu disappears!

Cx

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, sounds slightly scary, Cathy - you're very brave!! I'm just a plain & simple girl at heart, you know ...

:))

Axxx