Saturday, December 20, 2008

Short blogs and hot taps

A short blog tonight (you lucky people!) as I'm desperately typing this between social engagements. Well one is so much in demand this time of year, you know (ho ho) ...

Anyway, today we've spent a really rather nice day at Mother's exchanging presents - which we won't open till Christmas Day. And I've had a glorious hot, foamy bath while I was there. Bliss.

Before setting out, I left a note for the plumber in case he had time to pop round and deal with our crises - and miraculously he has! He's put in a new immersion tank and sorted the electrics on it out so we now have hot water. That comes from a tap! Gosh. I'm so excited I think I'll say it again. We have hot water that comes from a tap! Even now Lord H is in the bath enjoying the benefits and it's my turn next. Well, a girl in her prime can enjoy several, you know (baths, people, baths ...).

I must admit we don't yet have central heating but we do feel as if we're getting somewhere for the first time in days, hurrah! And the plumber is popping in tomorrow to look at the heating problem, so there's hope we might be fully functional by Christmas. Well, gosh.

In the meantime, here's a poem inspired by a brief chat with my ground-floor neighbour last night:

Revelation

She was the heart
of my family,
says the grey-haired man.
I miss her still.

Mysterious God,
may I too
one day
gain wisdom enough

to know myself
not always
the centre

of my own existence.


Ooh, my turn for a bath now - must dash! And then dinner with Liz and John & co - lovely.

Today's nice things:

1. A pleasant day with Mother
2. Hot water from the tap
3. Dinner out with friends.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - thinking taps are a wonderful invention ...

2 comments:

Jilly said...

Things are obviously looking up!

Anne Brooke said...

I know!!

:))

Axxx