Monday, December 01, 2008

Surrey drama, feet and Maloney

Much drama in Surrey this morning, Carruthers – the Cathedral is cut off from the outside world due to yesterday’s shooting incident. The word on the ground is it’s not to do with the University (we are of course next door), which is something of a relief in terms of student care issues. But we do wait to hear any latest news with a frisson of anxiety, not to mention unseemly but very human sparks of interest. Meanwhile, I’m taking mental plot notes, naturally … Ooh, and we have policemen in Starbucks, which is rather thrilling too.

Not only that but Ruth from the Chaplaincy (who has had to park on campus today as there’s no room at the proverbial inn, nor any way of getting there …) tells me that a body was found in Godalming churchyard over the weekend. Well, an unburied one anyway. Goodness me, this is indeed the place to be for that essential advent thrill. That is now our third Godalming dead body in just over a month, so we are officially more Midsomer than Midsomer. Whatever next?... The Surrey Advertiser is truly spoilt for choice this week, and will no doubt reuse its now infamous headline: Body Found In Grave ...

Meanwhile, I’m struggling on with changes and proofreading for the personal tutors’ handbook. Bearing in mind recent events, perhaps we need to add in a section on being careful around the Cathedral? And everywhere else, for that matter …

Had a much-needed reflexology session at lunchtime – seems ages since I was last there and it was so relaxing I dozed off several times. Bliss. I’ll have to start thinking about next year’s appointments also. Always good to schedule relaxation sessions into the diary as soon as possible, in my opinion.

Tonight, I’ll pop into see Gladys on the way home, and then it’s another evening of huddling round the portable heater again, waiting for the mice to surface. With our doors firmly locked of course …

And here’s this morning’s meditation poem:

Meditation 14

Take myrrh, cinnamon,
cane and cassia –

smooth them on your hand
and blend them for an ointment

sweet enough
to shield you

when the shadowed cloud
appears.

Wait then for the words
you long for.


Ooh and the lovely Ruth and Monique have both said how much they loved Maloney’s Law and they both think it’s my best novel so far. Gosh, that’s good to know – and I’m incredibly grateful for the comments! Not only that, but Carol’s bought a copy as well, so we’ll have to see what she says after she’s read it …

Today’s nice things:

1. Wild Surrey dramas
2. Reflexology
3. Portable heaters
4. Poetry
5. Nice comments about Maloney.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - celebrating Advent in some trepidation ...

4 comments:

Jilly said...

I'm so glad I didn't dream the body in Godalming! But I certainly didn't bargain for the shooting in the cathedral - good title anybody?? I hope the policemen are good looking AND in uniform

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, definitely, tee hee!

:))

Axxx

Lover of Books, Films and Good Coffee Shops Everywhere! said...

I didn't know the University was next to Guildford Cathedral.

Whenever I see pictures of it I remember that it featured in the Omen films.

Maybe that explains all the goings on.....spooky.

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, we're on the same hill - Stag Hill. And I know!!! As if the newspapers can't find out anything else about the cathedral apart from a film made yonks ago - it's making us all giggle here for sure - no news like old news, as they say!!

:))

Axxx