Thursday, January 22, 2009

A wonderful desert of a day

Today has been bliss. A day when I didn't need to leave the flat once and I have so far seen nobody but Lord H. This is like heaven. Yes, I am indeed a hermit. It's a gloriously empty, expansive, energising day and I love it. It prepares me for the horrifying busyness of tomorrow and I shall endeavour to hang onto it whilst neck-deep in social activity then. I fear I shall need it.

Here's this morning's meditation:

Meditation 54

Keep your vows safe
in the secret earth
of your skin.

Use them only
when you are sure.

Soon you can plant
their yellowed grains
in dark soil

and wait for the light
to rise.

I've been working on Hallsfoot's Battle for the wonderful majority of the day and I've got to the end of a key encounter between Simon and Gelahn, in which some of the truths about the mind-cane become clear. I've written more than usual, to my surprise - about 1,500 words today which is beyond my upper limit for sure. So I'm now at 80,700 words, which is very pleasing indeed, especially as I doubt I'll manage the full 1000 tomorrow.

There's also been time for an afternoon nap and for submitting another piece of flash fiction and four more poems into the great melting pot of literary life. So I have not, after all, been indulging in too much virtual frittering. Well, no more than usual then ...

Tonight Lord H and I are at the theatre seeing the new Alan Ayckbourn play, Life & Beth, so that should be interesting. He's always a playwright you can get your teeth into, as it were. And we'll also have the joy of looking at the seats with our name plaques on for the first time so, as you can imagine, I am hyperventilating with excitement at that. Fame at last, people, fame at last! The only trouble is we made a slight miscalculation when booking our tickets for this season and we'll only actually be occupying one of them, dammit. We will have to adjust our demands for the next run of bookings ... In the meantime, we'll have to see which of us we'll be sitting on tonight. As it were. The excitement is already mounting, you know.

Today's nice things:

1. A beautifully empty unsociable day, bliss ...
2. Poetry
3. Getting stuck into Hallsfoot
4. Submissions
5. Napping
6. Theatre
7. The thrill of Our Seats.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - sitting down is really her favourite hobby after all

2 comments:

Jilly said...

I know that hermit feeling!

Anne Brooke said...

It's grand, isn't it!

:))

Axxx