Monday, April 06, 2009

Lying low and the pirate life

The unwellness continues (but hell I'm used to it by now). I've pulled out of my attendance at the Exeter work conference and have let work know, though to be honest if I'm going into the office instead, then I suspect it won't be till at least Wednesday. There's no way I'm going anywhere, even close at hand, today.

Mind you, there is hope. I've eaten a few mouthfuls of cereals for breakfast and even had a few more mouthfuls of the stuff for lunch. Plus some cheese and crisps (ah, the healthy option always appeals, don't you know) as I had a wave of absolutely shivering hunger and just had to have some salt. Any salt. That's the most balanced and regular meal plan I've had for a ruddy week. And hey it's stayed down! Not that you probably wanted to know that, but still it was big news for me ...

Plus I managed two hours' sleep from 6.30 to 8.30am this morning, and another hour from 3-4pm, double hurrahs and put out the bunting. And in each case I was actually lying down on the bed. Well, gosh. That hasn't been able to happen for a while. Interestingly however, my left eye is very sore and rather bloodshot - Lord knows why, but obviously my body isn't used to the faint concept of "well" so is trying to catch me elsewhere - so I've rubbed it with my wedding ring (gold does work on the eye, strangely), put on some eye gel and have been wearing my eye patch so I look like a pirate. Yes, I do really have an eye patch - it was recommended when years ago I had an attack of iritis (nasty - and if you ever do get iritis, DO NOT BELIEVE the doctor who comes towards you smiling with the orange high-strength eyedrops that he says won't hurt a bit. He will be lying) to give the eye an enforced rest and it also works. Equally strangely. Lordy but all I need is a parrot and a limp and the image will be complete.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Lord H coming home, though I know he has the shopping to do so will be late, and I've already had two phone calls from Mother (who loves nothing more than the concept of a sick child - she's never really forgiven any of us for daring to grow up and sending her essential nursing skills into retirement). Still, it could be worse - at least she hasn't (yet) asked me if my bowels are all right, which is something she always used to do regularly and in public when I was young. Ah the shame ...

Today's nice things:

1. Feeling ever so slightly more human
2. Being able to eat something
3. Napping.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - just give me a treasure map and a ship and all will be well ...

6 comments:

Jilly said...

Eyes don't seem to like head colds and catarrh - is that the right spelling? - probably not but you know what I mean! I'm sure I don't need to tell you to get it checked out if it doesn't clear pretty quickly. I'm glad that at least you're eating and sleeping a little. Hugs xx

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jilly - yes, I will. Seems better now though.

:))

Axxx

litlove said...

One thing that always helps once you have stomach complications - sip sugared water. This soothes your stomach lining, gives your body a few tiny but useful calories and replaces some of the nutrients that sickness removes. If you can face it, drinking water with a little sugar and a little salt is fantasic, but it tastes rather gross and you might not be up to that. But really, sugar water makes both you and your stomach feel more human quite quickly.

Oh poor Anne - this does sound ghastly! If you've been not sleeping, reading loads and not taking on board enough nutrients, I'm not surprised that you have a bad eye - but that is no consolation, right? I really hope that clears up soon. And do go to the doctors again if you are not feeling well tomorrow - you need to check for secondary infections.

I send virtual hugs!

Anne Brooke said...

Good advice, LL - I shall bear that in mind! The lucozade also seems to help - Lord knows why. And I must admit the sick thing is 90% to do with being a catarrh sufferer, so it comes from higher up than the stomach - sorry if that's way too much info! You probably have to suffer from that particular interesting affliction to know what I mean! Maybe I should start an online catarrh sufferers' group? We do need to come out of the closet more - like the IBS people!

Now there's a thought!!!...

Ooh and the eye is better now - gold cures all ills in the end. So they say.

Love & thanks

Axxx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.