Friday, May 01, 2009

Golf, war, and a dark gritty read

Couldn't really get a grip on today's Bible reading, I have to say. Usually something hits me fairly instantly but this morning it took a while, and I'm still not so sure about the piece I eventually dragged out of my head. Anyway, here it is:

Meditation 119

In front, a land
of corn, wine, olive oil,

and behind you
memories of war.

You walk the narrow line
between gift and submission

and wonder
when the first, false step

will bring down the clouds.

Oh and welcome to May. In the real world, that is. In the World According to Anne's Watch, it's actually the 31st April, so I'm in a kind of no-woman's land at the moment. Same old, same old, eh. I will have to rely on Lord H putting me into the right time zone when he comes back from work. It's way too complicated for me to do it myself.

Meanwhile, there's a couple of good slices of writing news, hurrah - first off, Laughter Loaf ezine has accepted my flash fiction piece, Woman on Top, for future publication. And Grey Sparrow Press will be publishing a couple of my meditation poems in the autumn. Always nice to get good news indeed.

I managed to get into the mid-levels of the 115,000 word range in Hallsfoot's Battle before golf, so I'm obviously having a focused day today. I'm into the final battle showdown now, and though there's more to come in the closing chapters, that'll about wrap up the action of it. So I should get into the 120,000 word range in total, which is where I wanted to be. Roughly. And all that just has to explain why I did so well with golf today. The best I've ruddy played all year, I think (double hurrahs with bells on!), and Marian was on top form too. And, yes, I did manage to beat her, but not by much. Plus the weather was great and it was just a fantastic day to be out on the greens. Lovely.

This afternoon, I've enjoyed my Alexander Technique lesson - apparently I'm looking taller, so that can only be a good thing. Well, I do try to remember how to stand and sit and stuff in between lessons, and do those back relaxation exercises, so something should be working. Mind you, I can't go again for three weeks, due to holidays etc, so by the time I go again, I'll no doubt be back to my previous height ... Ah well.

I must also say how much I've thoroughly enjoyed Clare London's gay crime/relationship novel, Freeman. Fantastic writing - dark and rich and gritty (just how I like my men, eh ...) - and a main character to die for. Freeman is hugely intense and focused and very much a product of the shadowy world he lives in. The twists and turns in the plot are excellently done, and the character himself has many secrets, some of which are revealed at the end and some of which are not. I like that - the reader doesn't have to know everything. The slow-burn romance is good too. It reminded me in some ways (if I can be so bold - hell, I'm going to, so you'll just have to put up with it ...) of A Dangerous Man, so if you liked that, you'll love Freeman. A definite recommended read. Don't be put off by the cover - which, to my mind, doesn't quite fit the sheer kick-ass punch of the story.

Tonight we have a whole plethora of TV, my dears. What is a girl to do?? I think I'll watch Have I Got News for You? and Reggie Perrin, and video Boy Meets Girl ( the new gender-swap comedy which looks quite watchable) and Pushing Daisies. With luck that'll give me something to gaze at over bank holiday, as there's (I warn you now!) sod all on TV on Sunday night, sigh ...

Today's nice things:

1. Poetry
2. Flash fiction and poetry acceptances
3. Writing Hallsfoot
4. Golf
5. Alexander Technique
6. Freeman
7. TV.

Anne Brooke
Anne's website - going for the dark, rich and gritty options, always

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And another well done from me! You seem to be hitting the mark these days in terms of getting things published. I'm so pleased for you after he endless rejections. Long may it continue. x

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, WFH! Much appreciated. Things do seem a bit brighter in terms of submissions - but panic not! - the rejections still continue, so at least I still have something familiar in life!!

:))

Hugs galore

Axxx