Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Poetry, coots and the Archive Queen

Thrilled with getting back to my routine, here’s this morning’s meditation:

Meditation 126

When the dream
explodes in your blood

and the bright star
you lived by

turns crimson,
you can do nothing

but carry the knowledge
of destruction,

tasting it
deep on your tongue.

It’s a fairly quiet day at the office today – though as always the spectre of meetings is lurking and the parental guidelines document is drifting around at street corners looking suspicious. Mind you, I’ve got a heck of a lot of filing to do and the boss has finally uncovered his archiving bucket. Joy indeed. Thankfully, I’ve had to put in a new order for extra archiving boxes as there’s nowhere to put it, so at least I can hold off that doubtful pleasure until another time, hurrah …

Oh and the office quote of the week (from next door’s office, I hasten to add – we probably have a couple of years or so to go yet before we get there) and said in humour is: This office is a hub of menopausal sweat. Brilliant! I feel it’s a line I might well use in a book one day …

Went for a walk round campus at lunchtime – we appear to be in April weather mode: one minute sun and the next rain. My dears, I really have no idea what to wear. But as that’s pretty normal for me, I’m not too bothered. Anyway, it was nice to sit by the lake and watch the rapidly growing-up but still highly fluffy baby coots. That cheered me greatly.

I’m hoping to pop into the hospital after work to see how the neighbour’s getting along. I’m seriously out of the loop, what with being out of action for a week. UPDATE: Henry seems much better so that's good news indeed. Am hoping the improvement continues.

And I’m still pondering on my mental health short story – it’s rather surreal and obsessed, but heck I should probably be used to that as well, eh. UPDATE: I've finished the first pass through - I think I'll let it lie for a while and see how I feel about it in a few days.

Today’s nice things:

1. Poetry
2. Quote of the week
3. Lunchtime walks
4. Baby coots
5. Short stories.

Anne Brooke - the archiving Queen
Cancer Research Race for Life - please give generously to help beat cancer

2 comments:

Casdok said...

Love your office quote of the week.
Yes i wish the weather would make its mind up!

Anne Brooke said...

I know!! I'm still laughing!!!

:))

Axxx