Sunday, January 24, 2010

A question of identity

I'm pleased to say that Queer Magazine has just published my short article on GLBT fiction: a question of identity, which takes a look at the prejudices surrounding gay fiction and the women who write some of it. I'd love to know what you think - either through the comments section under the article or indeed here. Let me know.

Meanwhile, A Stranger's Touch has received its first official review which you can find at the Jessewave Review Site. I'm thrilled with the in-depth look Jen has given it - thanks, Jen! - and also by the 4.5 rating, well gosh.

However, at the same time, I'm struggling to place my GLBT fantasy romance short story, Angels and Airheads. It's not what Dreamspinner Press want for their angels anthology (um, again - I'm obviously just not doing it for Dreamspinner at the moment, sigh ...) and it's too short at just under 5000 words for Amber Allure. It's a quirky comedy tale, so if anyone has any ideas about who might like such a beast, I'll be over the moon to hear any suggestions. Thank you.

Turning back to reviews, I'm delighted to say that my review of Lynda Louise Mangoro's inspirational YA novel, Awakening of the Dream Riders, is now at Vulpes Libris so do have a read. It's a great book.

Finally, in the wonderful world of fiction, I've uploaded the latest chapter of The Prayer Seeker's Blog, in which Michael remembers his first experiences of meditation. Not as calming as you might imagine, and certainly not as fictional. But at least it does go to show that God can be quite overwhelmingly scary too, which is something I've always tried to convey, but not many people take notice. Ah well.

And this week's poetry is this:

Iridescence

Red for passion, white
for purity,
black for

possibility.
Take these colours,
blend them

with your own
and wait
for your skies to expand.


While this week's haiku is:

The day dawns with clouds
and birdsong. We make coffee,
promise to begin.

Anne's website - puzzling over its identity again
The Prayer Seeker's Blog - just when you thought God might be safe, he's ... um ... not

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I really enjoyed reading that article - as a librarian, I was never sure, really, how reasonable it was to have a 'GLBT' section in the library - books are books, surely?

I might walk into a bookshop thinking, ooh, I quite fancy a crime novel, but I've never walked into a bookshop and said, 'oh, I really don't (or do) want to read a book with GLBT characters in it today...' it isn't something that either repels or attracts me - I'm interested in dark, literary fiction, no matter what the orientation of the characters / author.

Anne Brooke said...

Thanks, Jenn - I think that's entirely true! :)) Axxx