Sunday, June 26, 2011

Houses and Bollywood

Book News:

I now have the edit back from the lovely Sarah Abel for Hallsfoot's Battle, which is the second part of The Gathandrian Trilogy and therefore the follow-up to The Gifting. So I'll look forward to going through that next week and afterwards getting it ready for submission to Bluewood Publishing (who I hope might like it), though obviously it'll take a while. I'm also delighted with the blurb that Sarah has provided - she's just soooo much better at blurbs than I am. Here it is:


Gathandria’s enemy is plotting his revenge. Banished to the mountain’s darkness, Gelahn the mind-executioner begins his campaign. His powers are sublime, unmatched – even without the mind-cane in his possession. Using fear and pain he enslaves his victims. Next he will break and possess the Lammas Overlord. Recently appointed Acting Elder and left in sole charge of her people, Annyeke Hallsfoot draws on all her mind-skills and courage as the fight for Gathandria rages. The precious ancient Legends are her bedrock. She begins teaching their wisdom to the scribe, Simon Hartstongue, who must quickly learn to work with the mind-cane’s strange powers. But Simon is distracted by his own demons and only fears the artefact. Supported by Johan and Talus, her young charge, Annyeke plots a desperate strategy to defeat the enemy. As the Gathandrians frantically rally behind their new leader, Gelahn strikes at the heart of the city.


Good to know someone out there knows what the dang thing is about, as I certainly never do ...

At the same time, I've been working on the edits and proof galleys for upcoming short story, For One Night Only, and have now sent that back to Amber Allure ready for publication on 17 July. I'm also happy to say that comic short story, Rosie By Name, gained a 4-star review at Smashwords - many thanks, Fred, for that!

And - sound those trumpets! - The Gifting has received its first review, which is a 5-star one from Sarah at Goodreads. Many thanks, Sarah - I really appreciate it!

NB THIS SECTION HAS BEEN REMOVED DUE TO LEGAL NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE PUBLISHER CONCERNED, AT THEIR REQUEST.

Here's my most recent meditation poem:




Meditation 541
David’s list of heroes
is really very long,

all of them so noble
and all of them so strong.

I wonder if I dare
to ask about their wives,

to hear the different stories
of how they lived their lives.

For no man is an island
or so the poets say

and it’s when we walk together
that we truly learn the way.


The Sunday haiku is:

Butterfly flutters
by my window, silver wings
sparkling in the sun.


Life News:

I popped into Godalming on Friday and gave our old flat keys back to our estate agent, hurrah! At the same time, I took flowers and biscuits as I think, in the final analysis, Seymours in Godalming have done a bloody good job in somehow (God knows how) keeping our buyer through all the months of agonies from the tricksy neighbours and keeping our confidence above drowning point (just) also. Bloody well done, them. I also gave the lovely Lucy a big hug and would have given Stewart a hug also, if he had been there (sensible Stewart ...). Lucy admitted it's been the most complex case they in Seymours have ever known and they too are amazed they've kept it ticking along, against all the odds. So. Completion date is this Friday, 1 July, and let's hope (please God!...) it's a smoother ride through that process ... But, whatever happens over the next few days, they've still ruddy well deserved those flowers, biccies and hug, to my mind.

Talking of houses, we've viewed several over the weekend, and there are two we particularly like. So, we've put an offer on our favourite - in Woking - yesterday and await to hear what the reaction is. We're also keeping another house as a strong second choice, in Elstead (not so good for K travelling, but it's so lovely, and also next door but one to our friends, Liz & John - run, good people, run for the hills ...), so if the first one seems uncertain, we might well put an offer on that one too, and see what happens. Wish us luck!

Speaking of Liz & John, we popped in for coffee at theirs after the viewing and caught up with the latest from them - and then we were back at theirs for supper in the evening with Robin & Gavin (hello, all!) as Liz's son, Rob Heanley, is an actor and has a role in the recent Bollywood hit, Patiala House. I must say it was an utterly wonderful film and I loved it. I can thoroughly recommend it for its sheer pizzazz and fun, and also Rob is pretty impressive as the hard-line cricket selector too. Well done, Rob!

This morning, K and I ended up at our new church again, and it was something of a surprise as they were having their thrice-yearly healing service as well as the usual communion - which was fine as far as putting my red stone of sin (wonderful concept, and bizarrely similar to a scene I have in The Gifting, which just goes to show there are no new ideas in the world, just new interpretations ...) in the pot of cleansing water, but I really don't like the concept of being prayed over by a team of elders, so we gave that aspect a miss. Probably a fall-out from being a scarred Evangelical church survivor but there you go. It's our history that makes us indeed. Actually, thinking about it afterwards, I would have been happy to go up for the anointing of oil, but I thought that was attached to the prayer bit so didn't do either - but K thinks they were separate after all, so next time I might brave the oil. Just as long as I don't wear anything too smart, eh. Some of these priests can be rather enthusiastic ...

Finally, Naturewatch Woking has good news to impart - the thrushes outside my window are bringing regular supplies of food to their nest so there must be chicks in there somewhere, hurrah! Like expectant parents, the thrushes, K and I are all equally awaiting the sound of squeaking and the sight of hungry beaks.  And in all the glorious sunshine of today too. Whatever next?

Anne Brooke

No comments: